NAME: THOMAS WHITFIELD DUNAWAY, III
ADDRESS: 514 South McDuffie Street, Anderson, SC 29624
TELEPHONE: (864) 224-1144
BIRTHDAY: April 30, 1951
MARITAL STATUS: Married – 4 children
Law School: Cumberland School of Law, Class of 1977
Juris Doctor Degree, 1977
Proctor in Admiralty, 1977
Activities: Student Member of American Trial Lawyers
Association; Student Member of American Bar Association;
Member of the International Law Society; Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity.
Honors: Student-Alumni Liaison 1975-1977
President – Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity 1976-77
President – International Law Society 1976-1977
Dean’s List – Spring, 1976.
Class Rank: Top 50%
College: Wofford College, Spartanburg, South Carolina B.A. in Political Science, 1974
Activities: Student Assemblyman for two years; Chairman of the Judicial Commission for two years.
Honors: Dean’s List for two years; Vice-President of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity; Student Representative of S.C. State Student Legislature; Chairman, Student Judiciary
1974 Summer ANDERSON, KENYON & EPPS Title: Law Clerk
1976 Summer Attorneys at Law Duties: Research & 230 West Whitner Street General Office Work Anderson, S.C. 29621
1977- ANDERSON, KENYON & EPPS Title: Associate Attorneys at Law 230 West Whitner Street Anderson, S.C. 29621
Duties: In a general law practice my work emphasized primarily in real estate and civil litigation.
1979- KENYON, LUSK, DUNAWAY & HINESLEY Title: Partner Attorneys at Law Post Office Box 1286 Anderson, S.C. 29622
Duties: My practice specialized in real estate, handling both commercial and residential closings. In addition, increasingly, I was involved in civil litigation towards the end of my association with this firm.
11/1980- TOM W. DUNAWAY, III Title: Sole Attorney at Law Practitioner
514 S. McDuffie Street
Post Office Box 1965
Anderson, S.C. 29622
Having left the above firm in November, 1980, I maintain a general law practice, with speciality in personal injury cases arising out of automobile accidents and also engaged in workers’ compensation, domestic, disability and criminal defense practice.
Admitted to the Following Courts:
Supreme Court of the State of South Carolina, 11/9/77
Supreme Court of the United States, 3/31/86
United States Tax Court, 1/15/79
United States Court of Appeals – Fourth Circuit, 11/16/78
- Anderson City Councilman 1980 -present, Trustee, St. John’s Methodist Church
- Member, Administrative Board, St. John’s Methodist Church
- South Carolina Real Estate Broker – 1981-2002
- Agent, Lawyer’s Title Insurance Company
- Appointed by Governor Carroll Campbell to the South Carolina Water Resources
- Commission, August 1988, Vice-Chairman, Water Resources Commission
- 1990-1997, Board of Directors, Austin-Wilkes Society, President, Anderson
- Heritage, Inc., Advisory Committee Member to the Land, Water & Conservation
- Division of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources,
- October 21, 1998- October 21, 2002. Carolina First Advisory Board,
- April, 2006 – Present, Who’s Who in American Law, Calhoun, Sr. Living
- Community Advisory Board, 2001-2002, Anderson Development Partnership,
- 1998-2002, Board of Directors, Chamber of Commerce, 2006 Recipient of the State
- of South Carolina Certificate of Appreciation for Downtown Redevelopment,
- 3/3/98, Recipient of Governor Carroll A. Campbell’s Award of Appreciation,
- 3/21/88, Recipient of Mason of the Year Award for Hiram Lodge, 2/09 and an award
- of lifetime membership only 31 of which have been awarded in the history of this
- Masonic Lodge, Certified Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and
- Certified of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
References: Available Upon Request